Social media is good for business. It reinforces positive images of your company, but it has a downside….
When faced with an employee whom you suspect has misused social media, here is some practical advice for what you can do:
- Quickly understand the facts – what has been posted, when, where and how? What are the actual and likely consequences?
- Take PR advice, if necessary.
- Be clear about the policy breach you believe the employee may have committed. How serious is it?
- Check that the relevant policies have been communicated to the employee. Some will be quick to plead ignorance.
- Meet with the employee to discuss the posting, and carry out any further investigations that prove necessary and reasonable.
- Deal with any underlying grievance or whistleblowing issues.
- Decide whether or not to discipline.